Tuesday, October 19, 2010

GOD WATCHING OVER ME

If God could keep Israel safe, surely he can watch over me.

I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip, he who watches over you will not slumber;
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you, the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm, he will watch over your life.
The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

My God does not sleep, or look away, or even blink.  Nothing misses his ever watchful eye.  He can see, hear, smell and touch all at the same time.  He can speak to my heart if I only listen willingly.  Even when I'm not willing, he still thumps me over the head.  He keeps me from danger and uncomfortable situations.  All the time?  Certainly not.  Just like I allow my children to make mistakes so they will learn, my God is still allowing me to fall on my face once in a while so I will learn.  But, he is ever watchful.  He is holding me when I can't stand on my own.  He is comforting me when I am in despair.  He convicts me when I'm wrong.  He loves me no matter who I am, or what I do.  Does this give me permission to sin day after day, knowing he will forgive me?  Well, no, but it  gives me the knowlege that I will not lose his love just because I think badly of someone, yell at my kids, curse at bad drivers or am lazy in my chores.  Just as my mother always welcomed me with open arms, and as I will always welcome my children with open arms, my God never closes his arms to me.