Monday, April 18, 2011

GOD PLANNED OUR SALVATION BEFORE HE CREATED EARTH

1 Peter 1:18-20 (New Living Translation)

18 For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And the ransom he paid was not mere gold or silver. 19 It was the precious blood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God. 20 God chose him as your ransom long before the world began, but he has now revealed him to you in these last days.

Before I had children I knew one day I would be called upon to discipline them.  It's human nature, afterall.  I would never expect my children to be perfect, although I strived to raise them in such a way that they would honor God and be as good natured as humanly possible.  I allow them to make mistakes and misbehave sometimes so they can learn life lessons they would never learn if I demand perfection from them.  I allow their free will to dominate at times.  It's hard to see my children fall and suffer.  I could not pay a ransom to save them.  Who would I pay it to?  Who would accept it?  I could not even sacrifice my own life for them to be free of sin.  No matter what I would attempt to do to save my children from their own sins, I have no power to do so. 

God wanted the same thing.  He wanted his children, us, to be perfect.  However, he also gave us free will.  Even before he created the earth and humankind, he had a plan to save us from all the dumb mistakes we would make along the way.  He knew our free will would dominate and he knew the path humankind was going to pave.  So, he chose Jesus to be our salvation, to come to earth in human form and save us all.  He allowed his one and only son to die, bloody and beaten on a crosss, in order to wash away our sins.  Jesus paid the ransom, with his blood, his life, in order to make us spotless in the eyes of God.  Jesus has the power and authority to save us from our own Hell.  He offers us eternal life with him in the glory of Heaven.  We cannot join him in Heaven if we don't join his family while still here on earth.  Where do you want to live?

There really is a Hell and there really is a Heaven.  Do you believe in Heaven?  Then you have no choice but to believe in Hell.  You can't believe in God and not satan.  You can't believe in good and not bad.  You can't believe in salvation and not believe in lost souls.

*Yes, I capitalized Hell and Heaven because they are real places, proper nouns.
*No, I did not capitalize satan, eventhough he is a real person.  I won't give him that honor.