Friday, August 5, 2011

SCHOOL IS ALMOST HERE

There are seven more days before my youngest starts high school.  I remember the day she graduated from elementary school.  I thought, Well, that phase is over with sadness.  She was going to begin a new life phase in middle school.  Now, she's off to high school.  My son is moving out in a week or so to go to college, my other daughter will also be attending college classes along with her high school classes.  They are past their childhood.  As I think about them this morning I'm thinking about how I used to enjoy the new start of a school year.  It was always a do over and I had high hopes I'd do better than the year before and I always looked forward to making new friends and experiences.  I have always loved learning; I still attend classes here and there just to keep myself entertained.  I have always thought there is more to the life I am living, not that I'm dissatisfied with it, just that I shouldn’t be content with being stagnant. 

I watch my children move forward in their lives and I’m so proud of them for living their lives in a Godly manner.  They are devoted to their faith and do not sit idly by and just listen to church sermons.  They move forward toward Christian maturity.  They help at church; my son is a youth group leader, and my eldest daughter was asked to help out with a new bible study the teenagers put together on their own.  My youngest is devoted to her daily bible readings and becomes upset if her quiet time is interrupted.  They can quote scripture better than I can and they know foundational principles that I see other kids struggling with.  I pray they will always have such passion for staying close to God on a daily basis and learning more as they mature. 

I am reminded of Philippians 3:13-14 which states Brothers and sisters, I know that I have not yet reached that goal, but there is one thing I always do. Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead, I keep trying to reach the goal and get the prize for which God called me through Christ to the life above.


I don’t think any of us should be satisfied with our knowledge of the bible or church principles.  There is so much to learn, but the prize is well done, good and faithful servant (Matthew 25:21)  We must allow past hurts, failures and disillusionments fall to the wind and look forward to the life that the Giver of Life, Himself, has given us.  He is the Renewer of Hope, the Breath of Life and our Provider.  If we’ve had a rough time, emotionally, spiritually or physically, our Father is right alongside us waiting to fill us with new life and hope, to bring us out of whatever pit we’ve found ourselves in. 

So, as we all start our new school year, lets allow mistakes and heartache from the past not weigh us down and keep us from achieving what God has planned for us.  Let’s all have a bright attitude towards a new beginning and reach for the prize.  I pray for a safe and rewarding year for everyone going back to school and I look forward to more graduations each year for years to come.

1 comment:

billspaintingmn said...

Marrisa! Wow! What a treasure to find your blog.
I have read only a few post, and will return as I can to read more.
I did a daily bible study for over ten years. I gravitate toward the trueth.
Reading about the road to Damascus, I was eager to study more.
I could go on & on. Thanks for posting!