Friday, September 16, 2011

OUR MOOD DICTATES OUR ACTIONS

Mood dictates our actions.  We agree to go with a friend to a movie on the weekend, but by the time it’s Saturday, we really don’t want to go because we’ve had a bad week and just want to stay home and be miserable.  Or we make a “to do” list for the next day and wake up tired and lazy.  We fail to do what we had intended to do in a more enthusiastic moment.  Our emotions mislead us.  One morning we awake with promise and as we start our day we fall into the despair we’re plagued with and want to crawl back under the covers.  It’s like an emotional rollercoaster with all it’s up and downs.  It affects the things we do and the words we speak and the attitudes that define us.  The bible is very clear with instructions to live by faith, not by feelings.  Faith assures us that God will be by our side each moment of our lives, even in our darkest moments.  God will be there even when we fail to pray, our smiles fade and our moods surrender. 
Hebrews 10:38 states Those who are right with me will live by faith.  But if they turn back with fear, I will not be pleased with them."
God is on our side, ALWAYS.  Even when we make mistakes and fail miserably, he stands beside us and wants our days to be filled with beauty, love, and power through the Holy Spirit.  He does not want us to be in despair over our own failings, but to live faithfully each day with the knowledge that through God’s magnificent love we can accomplish anything we set our minds on.  He knows the plans he has for us, so we must forge ahead into the darkness continually seeking his purpose for our lives.  We must not turn our backs in fear of God.  Even if we do, he is not absent. 
Having a bad day?  Okay, spend a few extra minutes relaxing in bed or being a couch potato.  But remember to get back up and ask God to guide you through your days and nights and to pave the path ahead of you with golden stones that you might easily find to follow.  No gold stones show up?  Keep walking anyway.  Just one small action in the name of God will empower you to make a second action and a third and so on. 
The past 10 days have been difficult, to say the least.  My daughters, and a friend, were rear ended and one daughter is having significant, negative physical results from the accident.  I was also injured at the accident scene, thought I was not in the car.  Our days have been filled with pain, frustration and anger.  However, each day I devour the word of God and pray for the healing of my daughters and their friend.  I try to stay positive and help my daughter in any way I can, though it is difficult to walk at the moment.  We have spent our days resting and visiting doctors.  My daughter’s spiritual life is strong and I am glad to see her relying on her faith to get her through this time.  We have our bad days, but we don’t have a bad life.  We are faithful to our God, even in the midst of a car accident, that He will show us the way out from this ordeal.  Our God is with us ALWAYS!
Take the time to reflect on God before each action, just for a day.  Thank him for the food he has provided every time you open the refrigerator.  Thank Him for indoor plumbing, the invention of the automobile, electricity, government and democracy.  Thank him for the use of you limbs, sight and free will.  Are you sitting on your couch?  Thank him for providing the home you live in and the means to purchase a couch.  Thank him for the weather and the logical sequence of our calendar. 
Then take the time to thank him for your gifts.  My strongest gift happens to be hospitality.  I open the doors to my home constantly, for anyone who needs it.  I thank God for providing a home big enough to house my family and guests and for allowing my husband to earn the means to entertain all our guests.  I thank him for the love I am shown from people who are grateful I feed them.  I thank him for these same friends who have shown their concern for us over the past 10 days.  I thank him for the knowledge that I can call a friend to come help me and they will come.
Spend your day allowing your mood to dictate your actions.  Make your bed in the morning believing you are making the bed Jesus slept in.  Get dressed and ready to make your appearance before God.  Cook a meal that would please the disciples.  Clean your house as if God himself were going to visit.  Wash clothes as you would wash Jesus’ clothes, with care and compassion.  Open your house to those in need, as you would welcome Mary and Joseph, on their travels.  The more you do this, the more your positive mood will dictate your positive actions.
Heavenly Father, I desire for my faith, not my emotions to dictate my life.  I pray for balance in my “hide under the covers” days, so that I might surrender to you in everything.  I pray for all of humanity to feel your guiding presence in each moment of their days and nights.  I ask, Lord, that you light a spark in the hearts of those in deep despair and help guide them out from under their covers into your light full of love and forgiveness.  I ask this in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Amen

No comments: