Monday, May 21, 2012

GOD'S COMFORT AND SECURITY

"Oh God, You are my God; early will I seek You; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water". Psalm 63:1
 
I think we all have a craving for comfort and security. Perhaps I more than the norm, at this time in my life. I would love to be “beamed up” to a time of greater innocence and away from this world of military threats and lack of respect. I think my desire for security began with Adam and Eve. For only a brief history in time was this world consumed by love and without fear for anything. Then, they had to eat that darn apple.
 
I don’t remember being fearful as a child. My parents were divorced but my mother took good care of us. I never considered how food made it to the table or where the funds came from for me to purchase a prom dress. My mother gave me the comfort and security I needed and I wasn’t even aware of it. I never found the need to find comfort outside my home. I wasn’t a completely obedient teenager, but I turn to drugs or sex for comfort. I thank my mother for keeping me reigned in just tight enough that I didn’t stray, though at the time I thought she was mean and controlling.
 
I would love to retreat back into the simple pleasure of being a teenager, along with all the difficulties I lived through. What I felt were demanding requirements then, now would bring me comfort.
 
I believe I can find such comfort now. I can feel secure in this life without worry that my security will be yanked from me. God has clearly stated promises in the bible that are intended to produce security in us in spite of our circumstances.
“Those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, O Lord, have not forgotten those who seek you.” Psalm 9:10
 
I think comfort is only a prayer away. I endeavor to seek God daily, and some days I accomplish such a monumental feat. Some days, like yesterday, I fall short due to my own faults. Just like comfort food brings a warm feeling to our body, I believe reading the bible and “being” in his word constantly brings comfort to our souls.
 

No comments: