Monday, July 16, 2012

SAGEBRUSH ACADEMY for LEADERSHIP TRAINING (SALT)

For three years now I've wanted to take the SALT prgram at my church.  I've been prevented from doing so for various reasons.  This year I prayed about it again and was again called to apply for the program.  Orientation class was yesterday.

I'm excited to get started.  We were asked why we wanted to participate in this program.  I answered it was because I'm not very good at witnessing to people.  I want to have enough knowledge about my own faith to be able to have a loving and intelligent conversation with others about my faith and about their own.  I shy away from discussing religious matters with friends and family.  I want that to change.

The two bible verses I am to reflect on during my SALT class:

Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young.  Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Well...I'm certainly not young any longer, but I am young at heart.  I don't think I do a very good job of being an example for others in what I say, but certainly in what I do.  I try to live my life loving others and being true to my faith.  As for purity.  The program requires I don't wantch R-rated movies or publically drink (among other things).  I can handle that, however, I love watching horror films with my son and most of them are R-rated.  I also love my wine.  I'm good at keeping rules when I have to, but I'm also known to break a few societal rules.  Other rules that won't be such an issue to deal with are; being honest and not stealing church resources, using this program dishonest personal gain, dating or being alone with someone currently in this program, or using inappropriate language or being unkind to others.  I do curse when I stub my toe, doesn't everyone?  I guess thats the point.  Does everyone who is truly following God's commandments?  I hope to see a change in myself not only in knowledge, but personal attitude and behavior.

Work hard so you can present yourself o God and receive his approval.  Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.  2 Timothy 2:15 

Our instructor spoke about whether or not we would be ashamed to face God.  Would we be called a good worker and receive his approval?  Would we be able to stand before God and state that we shared his word of truth faithfully with others?  I would not be able to do so.  I would be ashamed to admit that I shy away from sharing God's word and I didn't apply myself to this command.  I speak with neutral parties; teenagers I work with at church, strangers I come across, other adults with like beliefs and writing on my blog.  However, I shy away from from discussing God's word from my close friends and family who are not believers.  I truly want to see them saved, but don't feel it is my gift to bring them to Christ.  Perhaps this class with give me the confidence to reach out to others in a more formal way with knowledge to back up my love and desire to share God's word.

6146

No comments: