Friday, August 23, 2013

SELF CONFRONTATION


Scripture tells me to examine and humble myself.

MAT 23:12 – Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

1 COR 11:31 – For if we judge ourselves we will not be judged.

Turn to God as my only hope of eternal salvation.

ROM 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Self-confrontation must continue throughout my Christian walk.

MAT 7:1-5 – 1. Judge not, that you be not judged.  2. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.  3. And who do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye.  4. Or how can you say to your brother “Let me remove the speck from your eye” and look, a plank is in your eye.  5.  Hypocrite!  First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

LUK 6:41-42 – 41. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? 42. Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye?  Hypocrite!  First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

Self-confrontation must be achieved in accordance with the Word of God.

2 TIM 3:16-17 – 16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17. That the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

HEB 4:12 – For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I want to seek God in all I think and do, to please Him. 

2 COR 5:9 – Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him.

COL 1:10 – That you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

COL 3:2 – Set your mind of things above, not on things on the earth.

COL 3:17 – And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Training is not to learn how to save my life but instead how to lose it for Jesus’ sake.

MAT 16:24-25 – 24. Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me, 25. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it”.

LUK 9:23-24 – 23. Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.

The only complete source that identifies causes and provides solutions to all of life’s problems (attitudes, relationships, communication, and behavior) is the Bible.

To develop spiritual maturity I must be willing to confront my failures and shortcomings and make appropriate changes according to biblical standards.

ROM 12:1-2 – 1. I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

2 COR 5:9 – Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him.

COL 3:1-17 –1. If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2.  Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. 5. Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6. Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7. in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them. 8. But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. 9. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, 10. and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, 11. where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all. 12. Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering 13.  bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. 14.  But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. 15. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Spiritual discipline is a necessary ingredient for godliness.

1 TIM 4:7-8 – 7. But reject profane and old wives fable, and exercise yourself toward godliness 8. For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.

Faithfulness

LUK 16:10 – He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much.

1 COR 4:2 – Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful.

Diligence

2 TIM 2:15 – Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Lord, help me become a doer of the Word

JAM 1:22-25 – 22. Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves, 23. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24. For he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets the kind of man he was 25. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and  is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

Life application focuses on living according to the two greatest commandments stated by Jesus Christ. (I need to love God and my neighbor).

MAT 22:37-39 – 37. Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind”. 38. This is the first and greatest commandment. 39. And the second is like it: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself”.

1 JOH 4:20 – If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

Relationships on this earth are direct indicators of our relationship with God.  There is a battle between flesh and the Spirit.

GAL 5:17 – For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

God’s standard for the believer’s life is wholehearted love for God and others.

MAT 22:37:40 – 37. Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind”. 38. This is the first and greatest commandment. 39. And the second is like it: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets”.

Since God says that loving Him and loving others are His criteria for evaluating me, I need to pay attention to how to practice love. 

God has given me characteristics of love by which to examine myself.

1 COR 13:4-8 – 4. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5. Does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6. Does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7. Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8. Love never fails.

God tells me how to love.

JOH 13:14-15 – 14. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

J0H 13:34-35 – 34. A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  35. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another”.

God gives me an excellent demonstration of love. 

JOH 13:4-5 – Jesus 4. Rose from supper and laid aside his garments, took a towel and girded Himself.  5. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciple’s feet, and to wipe them with a towel with which He was girded.

Since Jesus is the perfect example I am to follow I am to evaluate my love using His example as the comparison.

1 PET 2:21-22 – 21. For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow his steps: 22. “Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth”.

Jesus laid aside his right to be served by serving his disciples instead.  Jesus said he did not come to be served, but to serve.  Loving means being a servant to others.  I am to serve in the same way as Jesus did.

JOH 13:12-15 – 12. So when He had washed their feet, taken his garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? 13. You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.  14. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.

God loves me in spite of my sin, but His plan is for me to change into Christlikeness.

The more the Apostle Paul matured in the Lord, the more he saw himself as a sinner.  It was not that he was sinning more; rather, he was increasingly aware of, and sensitive to his sin.

1 COR 15:9 – For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

EPH 3:8 – To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.

1 TIM 1:15 – This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

Frequently ask “What does God say?” and “How does this scripture passage apply to me?”

God has not promised to bless my own wisdom or my experiences; but He has promised to bless His Word.

ISA 55:11 – So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

Only God’s Word is to be the source and basis for teaching me how to live.  Complete reliance on the Scriptures, not worldly wisdom, is the key to living a godly, contented life in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Following God’s word is always best for me.  He has given me the Holy Spirit to encourage and give me the power to follow God’s way.  I tend to measure myself by man’s standards rather than by God’s perfect standard. I focus on myself instead of God. 

7019
 

No comments: